Sunday, September 26, 2010

Helvetica is boring

Helvetica is boring. That's what I think. We watched a little video about how in the olden days of about 50 years ago, everyone was so thrilled with this new typeface because it was neutral. Now everyone tries their hardest to avoid it because it's overused and bland. I agree. But also, I rarely look at how something is typed. When you read an old book, it's in a weird print-press font, and when you read a new book, it's clean and usually either typed in Times New Roman or some kind of Arial or Helvetica type font. Does it really matter? Is it a big deal if something says "Parking Lot" or "Parking Lot" or "Parking Lot"?? What difference does it make? A parking lot is still a parking lot whether advertised in Helvetica or Arial or Courier New. I understand that in order to be the most effective graphic designer, one has to notice and understand the subtle differences of a hundred different typefaces, but when all is said and done, I think it really matters very little. As long as the font is uniform and legible, the message will be portrayed effectively. But then again, I really hate computers and graphics and the like. I'd rather water my pet cactus.

No comments:

Post a Comment